Thursday, February 4, 2010

Nighttime

This is one of those nights. It is 9pm and Gil's meeting at Briar Cliff is just starting. He won't be home for another two hours. Luckily he only works a few hours on Fridays and even more luckily he likes his job a lot, making it much easier to be there (for him and me!). Jude's been in bed for two hours already sleeping soundly. I've done pilates and watched all the good Thursday night shows (The Office and 30 Rock). I even made rice crispy bars! Now it's the waiting time. Usually I fill this time by folding clothes, reading, or taking a warm bath. Tonight I feel like writing.

A few weeks ago I finished a book that Sr. Janet lent to me. It was called My Sister's Keeper. It has been made into a movie which I have still to see. But I really want to because I have heard it has a different ending than the book and I wonder what it could be. It sort of makes me mad that the ending is different because the author said in the interview in the back of the book that she felt it really could not end another way. As you may have guessed the ending is sad. But amazing too. This book had so many fascinating aspects. Each chapter was written in one of the many character's point of view, and it just switched from one to another all throughout the book. The father was a firefighter and had an astrology hobby so there were lots of interesting facts about fires and stars. There was a lawyer and doctors so info from them. The sister has cancer-leukemia-so lots of that stuff. There is a mother with really good mother insights I thought (you understand mothers so much better once you become one!). There were past secrets and present secrets and so many issues-really complex. The basic plot is that this couple had two children and the youngest was diagnosed with cancer when she was two. They then conceived a genetically engineered baby to be a perfect doner match for her sister. This third child does that all her life until she is 13 and then files a suite against her parents for medical emancipation-she doesn't want to donate her kidney. Everything that happens next will amaze you! It is a really good read that I definitely recommend!

Good news! Gil just called and is on his way home. He should be home by 10!!!

1 comment:

  1. Those late nights alone get lonely and hard when you stay home all day! It sounds like you do a good job of finding productive things to do!

    Also, My Sister's Keeper is one of my favorite books! I saw the movie and it was a good movie but I was REALLY MAD about all of the changes. I think the book had a much better ending and I didn't like how they took some major characters completely out of the story.

    Have you read any other Jodi Piccoult books? I would reccommend Nineteen Minutes and The Pact.

    ReplyDelete