Thursday, February 18, 2010

Getting Out

Today Gil left for Honduras. He should be there right now. Wow, he's far away. And I already have so many things to tell him!

Yesterday I took Gil to Sioux City so that I could drive the car back and not leave it there during his whole trip. Going to Sioux City at 8:30 am meant waking up at 7 (yeah I know I shouldn't complain!), getting everyone ready (not to mention the hour or so I put in the night before to prepare!), getting bundled up, Gil taking some of our stuff through the massive hard-packed snow drifts that still were unplowed from our road about 500 yds. to where my parents vehicle was parked, and Gil coming back to take Jude on that same trip and me following with the remaining items (Gil also made this walk twice the day before, once in the dark on his way home from class at 11pm). Fortunately my parents were able to help us out again! We took their Explorer to Sioux City. Gil went to work and I ran some errands and went to a MOPS play date (Jude is feeling much better by the way!). We had lunch together and said our goodbyes. I figured by this time we were surely plowed out. I mean it had been four days!!! But alas, no snow plow. We had made up a song the days before called "Where or Where has our Snow Plow Gone" sung to the tune of "Where or Where has my Little Dog Gone" but now it didn't seem quite so funny. So anyway, rather than walk through the drifts again (by the way, we walked on hard-packed snow on the side of the road and were well above the fence line!) Jude and I stayed over night at my mom and dad's.

We did make the walk back this morning though at around 10:30. And then three of the most amazing things happened almost at once...as I was making one of the billions of phone calls that are on my list to make today the snow plow finally came!!! I was so excited I told the secretary I was on the phone with! Then, the mailman showed up at my door with our mail (we haven't received any for several days, obviously, and our mailbox is once again M.I.A.). THEN, I found a letter from the IRS with the money we got back for buying a house, money that we have been waiting for and needing since August!!! I feel like it must be Christmas in February!!!

I can't tell Gil about any of this right now. I hope he is able to locate a phone in Honduras soon! But for now, I'd better take a shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment