Tuesday, October 6, 2009

NWC 5 Year Reunion!





This past weekend Gil, Jude, and I traveled the great distance (1 1/2 hours!) to Orange City Iowa for my 5 year college reunion.  We had a fantastic time seeing and catching up with my old friends, and Gil had a good time making new friends and even meeting some for the first time!  Seven of us "1st South North Hall" girls made the trip along with four husbands, one boyfriend, and six kiddos amongst us.  we were only a few short of our entire posse.  Amy and Ashley even traveled all the way from the Toledo/Detroit area and brought 18 mo. old Miley along, although they had to leave their husbands at home.  It had been 3 years since I'd seen Amy last and had never met her little girl.  Ashley and Anna I hadn't seen in a year.  Then Ang, Kelly, and Val I have been lucky enough to see more often.  We spent most of the time just talking and eating.  We are also lucky enough to have Ang and Justin still in Orange City.  They were terrific hosts and made so much yummy food for us!  So we hung out at their house chatting mainly about babies and related topics as 3 of us had given birth in the past year, one is currently pregnant, and one delivers babies for a living.  The Pizza Ranch was visited and we also made a trip to campus to get our free alumni shirts and check out our old dorm.  As we piled into Ang's SUV, three of us unbuckled in the back with no seat, I really felt like we were 19 again and going out to do something wild and crazy in OC like the good old days.  We actually walked the hallway we all once shared amongst the 7 or so year younger girls in their short skirts and high heels heading out to the big homecoming dance and knocked on the doors to meet the current residents of our old rooms.  Kelly and I met two lovely ladies who now reside in the blessed #117.  They probably thought we were funny and old, but we enjoyed ourselves!  Our boys were all fast friends and entertained themselves watching football, playing some video games and cards, and even giving each other nicknames.  It was also fun to see everyone's kids and see how they responded to one another.  Bailey (who is only 2 months older than Jude) and Jude were actually pretty interested in each other and almost the same size which is really something considering the last time they were together back in May Bailey was about 3 times his bigger! And Miley loved to give hugs and scream.  Evelyn was such a lady and Naomi was a sweetheart with her big blue eyes.  Then there was little Isaiah, only 7 weeks old, how precious!  On Sunday when departure time came it was very bitter sweet.  I do not know when the next meeting with many of these dear friends may be.  I was also thinking on the way home how precious and rare these friendships are.  These women were my support system and my family, and most importantly helped me to grow in my faith.  I was so blessed to have the college experience that I did.  And I wish the same for my children someday.  

Now another story I have to tell occurred on the way home on Sunday.  We got to LeMars when Jude started fussing in the back seat.  Between the business of the morning and goodbyes I seemed to have forgotten about feeding him.  We decided to pull over on an on ramp and I would feed him quick and then be back on our way.  As I was getting out of the car I wondered aloud to Gil if Jude might also have a dirty diaper.  He had not pooped in about 3 days and was definitely due.  As I picked him up out of the car seat I did not have to wonder any longer.  Yellow-Orange sticky think smelly gooo was smeared all up his back and a pile was left in the seat (forgive the detail, but when you have an infant poo discussions take over your life!).  This was by far the worst blow out we have experienced and I was so glad I was not alone in the clean up process!  Turns out Jude was simply telling us he was sick of sitting in it because as I was holding him out in front of me trying not to touch it or let it drip on me and Gil was de-pantsing and wiping with towels he was happy as a lark.  There we were as car after car drove by holding out a baby naked from waist down and wiping up the mess.  Both of us died laughing which made the process all the more difficult to accomplish.  After two towels, his entire outfit, the car seat, and about 20 wipes were soiled, oh and after he decided to also pee on the seat, we got a clean diaper and onsie on and were off.  I did hold him in the back seat all the way home (very illegally) so that we didn't have to put him back in the poopy seat.  And when we got home I had quite a job of cleaning it all up.  I told my mom the story the next day and she had no sympathy.  Something about me and shopping and a mess in the stroller...


No comments:

Post a Comment