Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Chickens




Well, we did it!  We purchases 10 chickens at the Love-a-Lop farm swap meet last Saturday.  We have 3 laying hens, 3 cross bred hens, 2 bantam (or something like that), and an exotic rooster with a hen.  We have already gathered 5 eggs and are going to make omelets tonight!  Gil is so excited that we get to reap the benefits of chickens right away and not have to wait forever.  So far they have proved to be rather easy to keep.  That is besides the first day when a couple escaped the coop and we had a heck of a time trying to catch them again!  Gil and his dad built quite the place for them in our barn.  I am off to Wayne today to get some chicken feed.  While I'm at it I think I'll pick up some baby wipes and take Jude on a little stroller ride.  Oh, and I found out that chickens eat gravel so that their gizzards work and their egg shells are hard.  Who knew?  

On Jude news he is currently sleeping in his swing after falling asleep in his high chair after a cereal feeding this morning.  That is VERY unlike him so he must have been tired!  He is doing much better at night now and I'd say usually sleeping through.  Last night he slept from 8:30 to 5:15 and even then wasn't really crying.  AND he was dry!  I had to purchase some of those crib pads because I was tired of changing his sheets each night (he's a crib wetter!).  Other than that he is also taking some good naps and is usually a happy baby.  He's rolling well and on his way to getting around I think.  Well sounds like nap time is over...

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever watched the 'I Love Lucy' episodes about the chickens. The are hillarious! I highly suggest you watch them sometime. Miss you! Amy Schmidt

    ReplyDelete