Thursday, November 18, 2010

Third World

Well, Gil has arrived in Honduras! I know this because I got an email saying Sr. Janet had sent an email to someone saying it was so. We are not to expect any contact until they return to the States the day after Thanksgiving. In 8 days. No contact for 8 days!!! I knew this all along, but right now on the first night he is gone 8 days seems like forever. In fact after he left me in bed alone at 3:30 am this morning I had a crazy dream that I just wanted to share with him (even though he isn't always a fan of my dream sharing!). I was so bummed that I might have to wait 8 days to tell him and then I would probably forget. Luckily he called me from the Houston airport and I did get to share a brief version! But what about my dream tonight?! And what about the story of my awful class today and the new things Jude is saying and doing? I think that is what I will miss most--being able to share my life with my life-sharing partner. Isn't marriage a great idea!?!

But then there is the other stuff about Gil being gone. Like that I now have sole responsibility of doing chores for the next 8 days. And I have to water the plants, take out the garbage, and attempt to keep a fire going at night and days we are home. I have to haul the wood up from the basement even!

Tonight when Jude and I finally arrived home I decided to light the fire. We had shut off the heat so it had gotten down to 54, but Gil had thoughtfully filled the wood stove and had it all ready to light in preparation for this moment. He even hauled up enough wood to last through the night. Well, it turns out I'm a little rusty on my fire building skills. The fire that was "ready to go" didn't want to go at all! I attempted to get this thing going for at least 45 minutes before it took off. And even then it seemed very slow going with the heat. Gil can get that thing roaring and the house so warm we need to open windows in no time; but even now it has only gotten up to 74 for me. I know that probably seems pretty warm, but I am a wimp when it comes to cold and actually have a blanket on me now! That is what I love about wood stoves, you can get it really really warm and not feel too guilty about your heating bill:) Anyway, I have been checking that thing like it's a new-born baby all night. It is constantly on my mind. When Gil is home I don't think twice about it.

The only real positive thing I can think of is that at least I am not snowed in like I was last time Gil left for Honduras! Oh, and the ME day I'm taking tomorrow: Dad/Brett are going to watch Jude (should be interesting!) while I go to the doctor, get some Taco Bell (one of the cravings I've been having that I haven't fulfilled yet. Cali Taco next weekend!), go to Target, get groceries, and get a Pumpkin Spice Latte. Sounds good to me!!!

2 comments:

  1. Shannon you are a real trooper! I hope you enjoyed your pumpkin spiced latte! Love you, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Carolyn! Actually Jude was a little under the weather today, so I had to post-pone "ME" day until Monday...more anticipation! He is feeling fine now though I think. Got a 4.5 hour nap in!

    ReplyDelete