Friday, July 16, 2010

"NO JUDE!"


No, David! This post is based on the children's book by David Shannon entitled "No, David!" I first learned about this book during grad school in a children's lit class. I thought it was funny and cute. Each page shows David doing something he shouldn't with only the simple words, "No David!" Then about a month ago I noticed something (which I eluded to in a previous post), I was saying, "No, Jude!" A LOT. And suddenly the book took on a whole new and personal meaning for me! Here are a few of the times I've had to say it...

Emptying out the towel closet.

Taking a bite out of his foam football.

Finding and scratching up my CD's.

Chasing after or pulling tails of the cats.

Throwing or putting rocks in his mouth.

Other times I say, "No, Jude!"
*Eating dog food
*Throwing food off his highchair tray
*Touching the TV receiver or VCR/DVD players
*Pulling DVDs or books off of the shelves (although I can hardly discourage his love for books!)
*Going upstairs (especially into mommy and daddy's room which is not entirely baby-proofed!)
*Banging coasters on the coffee table

You get the idea! The list goes on and on. I'm surprised that with all this, "No, Jude!" going on that
he hasn't picked up on the word no himself yet (but he does shake his head and no doubt it will
come all too soon!). We are thus far limited to, "Uh-Oh." He also does a good attempt at chicken
("chk-chk-chk"), kittie, cookie, and cracker which all sound the same ("Kuh-Kuh"), and even tractor
("Tck-ta"). While he doesn't have the most words on his list, he is still VERY vocal and often sounds
slightly dictatorish! He will point his finger and yell something extremely demanding (although only
he knows what it might be). And he is also very social. Yesterday at the pool he walked right up to a
little girl and wanted to see her princess swimsuit. He does like the ladies, but he also spotted a
little boy about his age with some cool toys that he thought he might get to know. He was a little
more interested in being friends than they were though!

1 comment:

  1. I went through a "No, Attila" phase not too long ago. What's great about puppies is that their phases are a lot shorter than babies! But Jude doesn't look like a baby any more; he looks like a little man! I can't wait to see him. I'll be home this weekend and we definitely need to get together.

    ReplyDelete