Saturday, January 8, 2011

How to Make an American (baby) Quilt!

I think I mentioned in my previous post that my new project is making a quilt for my baby girl room. That is the thing I was most excited for about having a girl...decorating the room and making a quilt. See my mom got a sewing machine last year and I have ALWAYS loved quilts and wanted to make one. I'd been thinking about what I'd like to make and knew I might be expecting soon and thought maybe I should hold out until then so I could make a baby quilt. And I found so many great patterns online, but all of them seemed just perfect for a baby girl! There is just so much more you can do with a girl quilt. So all that to say I'm excited for the girl and the quilt (lets just hope it really is a girl!). Oh, and also, finishing this quilt by May is my New Year's Resolution. I'm not of the losing weight or exercising school of thinking right now. I HATE gyms (rows and rows of machines make me nauseous. just give me a country road--although I have to admit those will be a little out of commission for another 3 months or so...).
So this is my thing. Thus far I have purchased the ridiculously expensive fabric and pattern (and made the choice of what to buy, which if you know me was extremely difficult!), and even cut out all of the middle pieces and sewn a couple of the squares (although one of them ended up being backwards and will have to be remade). The last time I used a sewing machine was in the 8th grade when I made a pair of flannel shorts. I have almost no experience. BUT, it was fun and not hard at all (so far)! I have also spent a lot of time watching YouTube videos on stitching and quilting. I'm thinking that will be the toughest part for sure. And I don't know yet if I will stick with stitch in the ditch or go out on a limb and be more creative. A final inspiration was my sister-in-law, Minette, who bought a sewing machine last year and made everyone the most amazing bags for Christmas. They are just beautiful and much more complicated than a blanket!

Anyway, I will attempt to document my process here on the blog. Here are some pictures of what I've done so far:

Ok, NOT the quilt, but I couldn't resist a picture of Jude with his bubble beard!
This is the fabrics. The larger flowered print is the "focus fabric." I'm also hoping to make a bed skirt and bumper out of something I have left.
Here are some of the pieces cut and placed into the pattern. This is one block out of a total of nine. Starting small! The red polka dot fabric will be the backing.
Here are all of my pieces laid out on the floor while Jude naps. There will also be two borders around them and then the binding. I'm still trying to decide how to paint the room. This wasn't originally a thought at all, but right now I'm thinking a two-toned teal stripe on at least one wall...I think I need to finish the quilt and then see!

Another mentionable bit of news is that over the Christmas break I got a call from the Allen School saying that the 6th grade teacher was resigning at semester and would I consider teaching the remainder of the year. After thinking and praying about this big change for our family I have decided to do it! I have not worked full-time since Jude was born so that is the major adjustment. I am going to miss getting him out of bed in the morning (at 8 instead of 6!) and just being the one take care of him all day. Luckily he will get to spend a lot more time with daddy. Gil will bring him to daycare (also in Allen) around 9 or 10 and get to stay home with him on Fridays through the end of February. I started Wednesday and had three days of shadowing the teacher who is leaving. That was good because now I know the routines and kids and curriculum. I'm excited because it's a really good class and really close to the age I have most experience with. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Yay you! The quilt looks fantastic, and I'm sure Grandma would be happy to provide some help if needed. Is the room at the front of the house upstairs going to be the girl room? And good luck with the 6th graders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go Girl! I am sure it will be fun making that quilt, it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete